For today’s stop on the Irish Banana Blog Tour, author Michael Mazza shares with us his top ten reasons to take his novel That Crazy Perfect Someday to the beach. Before I get too carried away, let me give you a little more information about the book.
That Crazy Perfect Someday
Turtle Point Press
Published June 13, 2017
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads
About That Crazy Perfect Someday
The year is 2024. Climate change has altered the world’s wave patterns. Drones crisscross the sky, cars drive themselves, and surfing is a new Olympic sport. Mafuri Long, UCSD marine biology grad, champion surfer, and only female to dominate a record eighty-foot wave, still has something to prove. Having achieved Internet fame, along with sponsorship from Google and Nike, she’s intent on winning Olympic gold. But when her father, a clinically depressed former Navy captain and widower, learns that his beloved supercarrier, the USS Hillary Rodham Clinton, is to be sunk, he draws Mafuri into a powerful undertow. Conflicts compound as Mafuri’s personal life comes undone via social media, and a vicious Aussie competitor levels bogus doping charges against her.
Mafuri forms an unlikely friendship with an awkward teen, a Ferrari-driving professional gamer who will prove to be her support and ballast. Authentic, brutal, and at times funny, Mafuri lays it all out in a sprightly, hot-wired voice. From San Diego to Sydney, Key West, and Manila, That Crazy Perfect Someday goes beyond the sports/surf cliché to explore the depths of sorrow and hope, yearning and family bonds, and the bootstrap power of a bold young woman climbing back into the light.
Top Ten Reasons to Take That Crazy Perfect Someday to the Beach
by Michael Mazza
- Booklist calls it a “[A] beach-bag must-have.”
- Many of the scenes take place on a beach!
- Read it on a beach. With the sand fleas, stinky kelp odor, and sea spray, you’ll have a truly interactive experience.
- It’s a conversation starter for that hunky, tropical resort bartender fixin’ up your fourth Mai Tai.
- It’s a story with drones, sharks, Aussie surf thugs, monster waves, bonobo apes, a Louis the XIV wedding, and celebrity wipe-outs. Who doesn’t like celebrity wipe-outs?
- Your mom would approve of it—wait, scratch that.
- It makes a great sunshade when not in use.
- Word is that fish love it! Sea mollusks too!
- It goes great with a refreshing umbrella drink.
- The sun gods will shine their heavenly goodness upon you for reading it. And isn’t that reason enough?
Finally, always wear sunscreen, never drop in on another surfer, and support your local indie bookstore.
About Michael Mazza
Website | Twitter | Instagram
Michael Mazza is a San Francisco Bay Area fiction writer whose stories have appeared in Other Voices, WORDS, Blue Mesa Review, TINGE, and ZYZZYVA. He is also an internationally acclaimed art and creative director working in the advertising industry. That Crazy Perfect Someday is his first novel.
Visit the Other Stops on the Tour!
6/19: Never Too Many To Read: Photo Collage
6/20: The Story Sanctuary: Guest Post (you are here!)
6/21: Here’s to Happy Endings: Q&A
6/22: Reading Is Better With Cupcakes: Review
6/23: Quarzfeather: Review